The course aims to introduce the students the function and role of process measurement and instrumentation in an industrial processes and manufacturing environment.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the difference between Open-loop and closed-loop control systems
- Describe Typical processes that measure pressure temperature, flow, and level.
- Identify Sensing devices their uses in measuring pressure, level, flow and temperature.
- Understand the function of Transmitters, receiving devices, controllers, valves and other process instruments
- The basics of pressure measurement devices.
- Identify the types of meters Manometers, bourdon tubes, diaphragms, capsules, bellows, and strain gauges. Principles of Level Measurement
- Level measurements differentiate between low-pressure and high-pressure level measuring methods
- Uses of capacitance, displacer, and reluctance probes in measurement and instrumentation.
- Methods of level measurement such as infrared, radioactive, and ultrasonic systems will be discussed. Principles of Temperature Measurement
- Thermocouples, RTDs, thermistors.