“To ensure the safety of the public, the Government Electrical Inspectorate certifies that wiremen carrying out electrical installations are qualified and capable to perform such work. Licences are issued to wiremen as verification of their certification”
To qualify for acceptance to write the Wireman’s Licence Examination a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum age requirement of 23 years old
- 3 years relevant work experience
- Possess a Diploma in Electrical Installation from a recognised awarding body (NEC, City & Guilds, EduQual)
- A degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering/ Technology.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a Licenced Wireman or current and previous employers.
Note: The application for the Wireman’s Licence exam is done at the Electrical Inspectorate Service of Trinidad and Tobago not at SPA.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the required standards for Electrical Installations as identified by the following regulatory bodies:
- Trinidad & Tobago Bureau of Standards- Electrical Wiring Code Part 1 Low Voltage Installation
- Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission- Wiring for Lighting and Power.
- Perform calculations to determine cable sizing, transformer sizing, Power Factor, Phase angle, Impedance and voltage drop.
- Identify the requirements of load details and panel scheduling.
- Understand requirements for earthing and standards for earthing.