This course is designed as an introduction to the core legal frameworks surrounding the most fundamental areas of law. Students will be given an expansive overview of the various theories and applications of law and will gain pronounced insight into the different concepts, terminology, processes and practices that arise from the application of law, both locally and internationally. This unit will provide the vital background for appreciating how the law governs every aspect of our lives through establishing standards, maintaining order, resolving disputes, and protecting liberties and rights. The intensive program will assist students to gain excellent analytical skills by encouraging them to think critically to readily comprehend a large volume of information and would be an ideal start to any potential law student.
The aims of this unit are:-
- To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of the different areas of law;
- To provide students with knowledge and understanding of the application and functions of the laws of Trinidad and Tobago in relation to our daily lives.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the different areas of law;
- Develop a clear understanding of the functions of practice and procedures of the legal system of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Demonstrate legal knowledge and understanding of the laws of Trinidad and Tobago as it relates to our daily and private, professional and business life;
- Identify and describe the court systems of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Identify and describe different methods of resolving legal problems;
- Interpret situations which require legal input and contribute meaningfully to these situations.